All the essentials
A Main Cabin ticket is more than just a seat – it includes everything you need for an enjoyable flight.
You can choose your seat for free when you book or buy a Preferred seat in a more favorable location or a Main Cabin Extra seat with more benefits.*
You can buy Wi-Fi on select aircraft so you never miss a beat while you’re on board.
You can bring 1 personal item and 1 bag with you on board for free. Check all the restrictions for carry-on and checked bags, including free allowances and charges, before you travel.*
*Main Plus tickets include complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra and preferred seats (if available), preferred boarding (Group 5), and 1 more free checked bag (in addition to the Main Cabin allowance). If you’re an AAdvantage® elite status member, your bag allowance and boarding group apply if they’re higher.
Flying with AAdvantage® status / oneworld® status? Enjoy more benefits like mileage bonuses, priority check-in and boarding, complimentary checked bags, lounge access and more.
- If you're unable to choose seats when you book, check back closer to departure or we'll assign you a seat when you check in.
- We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
- You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
- We will attempt to assign children under 15 with at least one adult they're traveling with.
- If you sit in a seat other than the one assigned, you may be asked to move.
- Preferred seats are on select flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle and subject to availability.
- Seats are non-transferable and valid only on the flight purchased.
- We reserve the right to discontinue the sale of seats or refuse to sell seats to a passenger.
- Fees for seats are non-refundable with some exceptions.
Refunds issued for seats
We'll issue you a refund if:
- You pay to upgrade to First or Business
- You pay more for another seat on the same flight (but not if you change to a lower priced or free seat)
- You cancel your flight within 24 hours and booked at least 2 days before departure
- You cancel, rebook and buy seats on your new flight
- We cancel your flight and we're unable to get you a comparable seat on another flight rebooked by us*
- We delay your flight causing you to miss a connection and we're unable to get you a comparable seat on another flight*
- You're denied boarding on an oversold flight and we're unable to get you a comparable seat*
*Unable to get you a comparable seats is defined as moving from preferred to non-preferred or preferred aisle / window to preferred middle
Request a refund or voucher
You can request a refund online if you paid for seats and you make changes to parts of your reservation, and you lose your paid seats on the unchanged segments.
You can request a voucher for the value of your non-refundable seat if you cancel your trip during the coronavirus travel period and booked by March 31, 2021.
Keep in mind you need to submit separate refund requests for your flights, seats and other purchases.